Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Making waves

Creating peace and justice occurs at many levels - at home, in my community, in my country and in the world. What a huge task. Where do I start?

At home, see the commonalities in us all. Look at the good. Create an environment of peace and I will see peace all around me. Create an environment of anger and I will see anger all around me. Create an environment of ugliness and I will see ugliness all around me.

My responsibility is to create an environment that reflects back to me feelings of peace, compassion and justice but how do I do that?

I see myself as a wave in the ocean, emerging from the depths, growing larger, bumping into other waves as I gradually reach my peak and then begin to decline. Other waves are growing and declining at their own rate - some faster, some slower. Some larger, some smaller.

The waves and I shape each other and respond to each other in a give-and-take relationship. Our interactions are part of a whole - the ocean - and as we cycle through our existence, we use our power for good.

No comments: