Friday, February 15, 2008

No guns!

Another campus killing of innocent youth. How do we “challenge and transform the culture of violence” as the announcement below addresses? Why do we think our freedom to bear arms supersedes our freedom to live a long and happy life?

I grew up with guns in my home and they were kept locked up and we used them only when supervised by our parents. We learned gun safety, but none of the five children in my family owns a gun today. I guess we learned that we did not want something that dangerous in our own homes. And we have no need to go “hunting” for wild game.

I realize that many people disagree with my view on gun ownership. I don’t watch TV so I’m not a victim of the sensationalism that makes people feel threatened. I’m not afraid to live in my multi-ethnic neighborhood. I know my neighbors by name. I don’t need a gun to protect myself and perhaps hurt others. I know how to control my emotions, and even though I express my feelings, I use reason to understand my relationships with others.

The announcement below is for a good cause. I think, however, that we need to do much more than this before gun violence moves up from the second-leading to the leading cause of death among young people.

Drum-A-Thon to Benefit Richmond Youth Peace Project (RYPP)
Saturday, March 15, 2008, sunrise to sunset
The Camel
1621 West Broad St.
Richmond, Virginia.
The drum-a-thon will bring together drummers from various traditions to participate in a continuous drum circle. Interested drummers and drumming groups are invited to participate in half-hour time blocks. Anyone wishing to sponsor a half-hour of drumming can download sponsorship information at http://www.rpec.org/.
Gun violence is the second-leading cause of death in the United States for young people ages fifteen through twenty-four. Thousands of Richmond teenagers are affected by violence in their schools and communities. The purpose of RYPP is to challenge and transform the culture of violence in the greater Richmond area through Conflict Resolution Training, Artistic Expression, and Leadership Development.
CONTACT: Ram Bhagat
Email: afrohindu@yahoo.com
Phone: 804-257-9527
Website: http://www.rpec.org/

No comments: