Thursday, November 15, 2007

I can dance!

I had a great time last night at the Fair Trade Festival benefit. The music, friends, acquaintances and others made it special. Even Travis, our server, did an excellent job of keeping us well supplied with food and drink.

For the past 20 years, I have suffered from a malady the doctor’s call irritable bowel syndrome. Even though they have performed two colonoscopies and a barium enema with air contrast, they don’t know how to help me. So I have been helping myself through keeping a food journal, fasting whenever I have diarrhea, and trusting doctors to help. But the best help came from a book written by James F. and Phyllis A. Balch – Prescription for Nutritional Healing.

Through their guidance and my charts and records, I have discovered that taking one acidophilus tablet every time I eat prevents the diarrhea. My suspicion is that the antibiotics I took as a child suffering from chronic ear infections cleaned out my digestive system of all the good bacteria, and that my best choice is to replace these bacteria every time I eat with the acidophilus.

Last night at the benefit, when Milo MacTavish got up to dance the jig in his kilt, I joined him and danced with no hazardous-waste spillage. What a liberating feeling. I can dance!

No comments: