Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Taking a small leap over fear

Yesterday, I signed up to host a media training party for the Center for Progressive Leadership Action Network. At first I felt like I was sitting on a seesaw arguing with myself.

I thought, “I could do this.”

Then I thought, “No, it will be too much work.”

"Don't be silly. The house is fairly clean. All I have to do is wash the dishes and empty the trash."

Then, "What if someone scary shows up?"

“But it might be fun to meet new people and I could learn about how to talk to the media.”

So I went to the web page and started filling out the application form – a simple name, address, phone number and email address. But I didn’t submit it. I closed the window and went back to my work. But I didn’t delete the email invitation, because I thought I might want to reconsider.

Later that day, I decided that I would do it. I filled out the form, checked it twice to make sure I didn’t omit anything and clicked “Submit.”

Next thing I knew, I received an email inviting me to the training that evening at 9 pm. I had another meeting to go to, but it was supposed to end at 8:30, so I thought I could make it. I got home at 8:56 and dialed the call-in number for the training. After introducing myself and listening to the host, Jeremy, lead the meeting, I felt happy that I had decided to make the commitment and confident that I could host the training for my guests.

Now I’m just waiting for my guests to register and show up on the designated evening.

No comments: